March 4, 2012

A Slouchy Hobo Shoulder Bag

Click for a close up!
It's always a surprise opening my emails every morning, and I can't wait to get to them to see what kind of news, photos and special requests I will have.  Last week I received an email from Rachel, who is an old friend of my daughter's from school.  Thanks to Rachel, who sent me a photo found in her web search for a shoulder bag, I found the most awesome hobo bag pattern!

Rachel had a simple request: "Can you make a bag like this?", with a photo attached.   Google, my dear, resourceful friend, helped me find the exact picture and web source of the photo she gave me AND the tutorial to make it!   Why fiddle around and design my own when here, at my finger tips, was the best and easiest tutorial to get the job done.  I loved the pattern, and the bag was so easy to make.

Much to my delight, Rachel chose the Sparrows fabric by Joel Dewberry, from his Avery2 range.  I am still so addicted to this fabric range!  I love the way this bag feels on my shoulder, and the strap length is perfect.  I added some inside pockets and interfaced it with a layer of canvas, because I was only using light cotton for the exterior and lining pieces.   The part that took the longest was taping the tiled pattern pieces together, but that wasn't much of a chore at all.  If you are looking for a quick, easy hobo bag pattern check out the Lula Lousie blog and her tutorial, Reversible Shoulder Bag Tutorial, it's fab!

I love the sparrows!

I made the bag for Rachel with the idea that when finished, if she didn't like it, it would go in my shop.  So if she isn't a huge fan, watch for it there, or it might just stay with me forever because I love this bag!

Inside Pockets of the Rachel Hobo Bag
Thank you for looking,

I think you'll love my wallet pattern.  It will hold your mobile/cell phone and you can add a wrist or shoulder strap if you prefer!  Have a look HERE.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this - - I { L O V E } yours. I'm new at sewing and the bottom on this bag scares me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy, I Love it to! The bottom of the bag is pretty easy actually, you should give it a try. I actually didn't even do the basting stitches to gather, I just put in a couple little pinned pleats. Janelle

      Delete
  2. LOVE this bag! So cute!! I found you at The Girl Creative. I'm a new follower. :)
    http://www.thelittlegiggler.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! And thank you for following too. I'm hopping over to your site, Janelle

      Delete
  3. Love this bag! And the fabric! Great job!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly, I can't wait to make another! J

      Delete
  4. It looks awesome!!! I love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted a Kate Spade Hobo Bag that allowed me to carry around all my essentials, snacks and camera in it. I got my dreamy bag at tradesy.com. I just love this hobo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I have been wanting to make one for the longest time. Thanks for the tutorial. I will be sure to make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janelle, how did you add the pockets? I was going to make this but I can't figure out how to add a pocket. Normally, I'd add it before I sew the two pieces together, but the pattern has us top stitching the seems, so if I add the pocket before the top stitch then I'll end up top stitching over the pocket and if I wait until after I do the top stitching, then the stitching for the pocket will show up on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Rida, you sew the pockets directly onto the lining piece, before it is attached to the exterior, so you are not going through all layers. I hope that helps! Janelle

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I actually went back and re-read the instructions and it made sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

      Delete
  8. I love sewing bags because I always learn something new. Sometimes it is a different way of doing something or a different type of bag (laptop case vs. handbag), etc.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! I like to reply via email, so please make sure your email address is set up in your Blogger preferences. However, if you are a 'noreply@blogspot.com' commenter, check back here for your reply, Thank you!! Janelle

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...